The elements of countryside bed and breakfast
The essence of life is all about creating moving memories that sweetly linger in the deepest part of you.
When I started Sonya’s Garden in 1998, it was meant for personal pleasure of living a dream life: the joy of planting and harvesting my own organic food, create a garden of colorful blooms with haunting scents, stay in a modest country cottage with natural ventilation for clean air to flow, reconnect with mother earth, and whisper daily prayers of gratitude for the lusciousness of the moment.
As endearing friends swing by for a visit, the enigma of the garden traveled in hushed tones, seducing city dwellers and inquisitive souls: seeking for nature’s refuge. From a garden “table for two” framed by a dramatic bougainvillea vine, it has now evolved into an integrated tourism enterprise.
Reaching the pinnacle of humble beginnings, allow me to share with you some pearls of wisdom on the elements of countryside Bed and Breakfast.
1. Low Capitalization Requirements. You can always start with a small plot of land with a charming cottage while celebrating local culture. As you gain foothold of the business, add more cottages and meaningful experiences.
2. Integrated Organic Farming. Ensure the productivity of the land by planting organic and healing foods to feed guests. It is a sustainability strategy while reducing carbon footprints.
3. Sustainable Architecture. Create a structure with cross air ventilation to encourage fresh air to flow, consider solar energy investment, and rainwater harvesting to minimize environmental impact and operating expense.
4. Spa and Wellness. A gift to nourish the body, mind and soul. Consider providing a soothing foot or full body massage to improve blood circulation and energy flow, delivering oxygen to the cells. Unwind with a healing tea harvested from the garden.
5. Community Empowerment. Have the sincerest intention to improve the way of life of your community by creating job opportunities, purchasing local products, and creating livelihood programs. They are the best partners that you can ever have. Seek to grow strong as one.
Should your heart decide to embark on building your own Bed and Breakfast, begin with an inner intention to offer heartwarming memories for your guests. At the end of the day, that’s all there is.
If you have been inspired by Sonya’s Garden, join this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to learn from Ms. Sonya Garcia as she spearheads a Master Class on Bed and Breakfast on 24-26 February 2021 and Integrated Organic Farming on 26-28 April 2021. To participate, please send an email to [email protected], call 0917 533 5140 or follow the Facebook page of Sonya’s Garden.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.