A tipping point? Contractuals won’t get share in service charges | Inquirer Business
Close  

A tipping point? Contractuals won’t get share in service charges

/ 05:08 AM November 22, 2019

Contractual workers will be excluded from a law meant to equally distribute the entire company’s earnings from service fees.

After reaching an agreement with stakeholders from the government, labor and management, this would be reflected in the implementing rules and regulations of the service charge law, Philippine Hotel Owners Association, Inc. (PHOAI) president Arthur Lopez said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Lopez told reporters on the sidelines of this year’s Arangkada Forum there was a proposal to include contractual workers under the coverage of the law, but the hotel management group prevailed during the negotiations.

The law will essentially give workers in the hospitality sector the entire share of a company’s earnings from the service charge.

FEATURED STORIES

Based on the current setup, workers are getting 85 percent of the service charge, while the management keeps for itself the remaining 15 percent.

Even without the law, Lopez said workers were already getting a lot. On top of monthly salaries, regular workers each get P18,000 to P30,000 a month from the service charges collected from customers, depending on different variables, such as the number of hotel rooms.

The new law would mean a bigger take home pay for these workers.

PHOAI, which represents 250 hotel companies in the  country, said including contractual workers in the mix would essentially mean regular workers would be earning less.

Out of the 2 million workers employed by the hotel industry, 10 to 15 percent are contractuals who work in special occasions such as weddings, according to Lopez. This does not include the number of workers in the food and beverage services sector.

“We’re not getting anything out of it. What they wanted [is that] all the contractuals will be included. If you include all the contractuals, that will dilute the share of the regular employees in a very big way,” he said.

PHOAI does not have an estimate on the impact of the law to companies. But citing a hotel that has 600 rooms, for example, losing the 15-percent share of the service charge meant losing $2 million in a year.

Lopez said management would usually treat the 15-percent share of the service charge as part of its income or for expenses. To offset the impending loss, he said hotel management just needed to “improve productivity.”

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Arangkada Forum, Arthur Lopez, contractual workers
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.