Dominguez: ‘Onerous’ prime land deal under review along with others OKd by Duterte predecessors
There’s no stopping the Duterte administration from reviewing allegedly “onerous” contracts that his predecessors had entered into, with another long-standing contract involving prime land up for scrutiny.
Finance Secretary Carlos G. Dominguez III, who heads the Duterte economic team, told reporters on Monday (Jan. 20) that he had “endorsed to review all contracts that may have onerous provisions.”
“In fact, we have one that we found. I will give you all the details [soon],” Dominguez said.
Asked in which sector was the contract with onerous provisions found, Dominguez replied: “Real estate.”
The finance chief said the contract had been going on for “more than 40 years.”
He added that the property was not in Manila, though.
President Rodrigo Duterte had ordered a review of contracts with the two water concessionaires in Metro Manila and areas nearby for allegedly onerous provisions disadvantageous to taxpayers and which had been approved by predecessors of Duterte.
Dominguez had defended the administration’s move to review contracts with private corporations, saying that “it should be a signal to everybody that the private sector and the government are working together for the benefit of the nation, of all the taxpayers.”
Edited by TSB
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.