BMW’s PH unit seen favoring Asean suppliers | Inquirer Business
Close  

BMW’s PH unit seen favoring Asean suppliers

/ 05:42 AM February 12, 2018

The country’s official distributor and importer of BMW cars is considering getting its units from sources in the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean), much closer than its production facilities in the US and Germany, to make prices more “competitive.”

Maricar Parco, president of SMC Asia Car Distributors Corp., told reporters at the sidelines of a product launch on Friday that the company was waiting for the marching orders from their regional office.

ADVERTISEMENT

However, she said they were already preparing to shift to importing from countries closer to the Philippines.

Last year, San Miguel Corp. acquired 65 percent of SMC Car Asia, while the remaining 35 percent remained in the hands of Jose Alvarez, the previous owner of Asian Carmakers Corp.

FEATURED STORIES

The introduction to the local market of the all-new BMW X3 last week marked the first launch BMW had under the conglomerate.

“We have yet to hear from the regional office but, yes, we are preparing to see how we can bring synergies in the region so we could bring in our products at more competitive pricing,” she said.

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: ASEAN, BMW cars, Maricar Parco, SMC Asia Car Distributors Corp.
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Curated business news

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.