outbrain
Close  

Duterte threatens telcos with competition from China

By: - Reporter / @NCorralesINQ
/ 03:31 PM October 08, 2016
President Rodrigo Duterte. FILE PHOTO

President Rodrigo Duterte. FILE PHOTO

President Rodrigo Duterte has threatened telecommunications companies to improve their services or face new competitors under his administration.

In a speech at the National Banana Congress in Davao City on Friday, Duterte said he would have a one-hour morning television show devoted to receive public complaints on erring government officials and offices.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Now there is a Malacañang TV, PTV4, so may program ako dyan (I will have a program there), I’ll give about, every morning, one hour. Lahat ng Filipino na nakatikim ng (All the Filipinos who have experienced), whether it’s in the permit sa office of the mayor, or an electrical clearance or way of right already paid but unimplemented, itext mo na lang (just text me your experience). Your name, the government official, do not add your name,” he said.

READ: On air soon: Duterte TV show to hear, act on citizens’ complaints

FEATURED STORIES

He said he would open a number where the public could text their complaints.

“Ito ngayon I’ll open a number sa…Magcontribute si Pangilinan pati si Ayala ng numero ko, tutal they are… maraming pera sila dito sa. Wala kayong kumpetensiya. Magtext ako, maghintay ako ng reply. Matulog na muna ako kinabukasan ko pa mabasa,” he said.

But the President told the two owner of the telecommunications firm to improve their service.

“If you do not do it right, you wait, I’m going to China,” he said.

“I’ll open up everything for competition. Buksan ko na lang lahat (I will open up everything),” he added.

READ: Rody tells telcos: Shape up or face new competition

Businessman Manny V. Pangilinan or known as “MVP” is the chairman and CEO of PLDT and Smart.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Ayalas, meanwhile, are major shareholders in Globe Telecom.

In an interview with radio dzBB on Saturday, Presidential Communications Secretary Martin Andanar laid out the government’s plan to solve the notoriously slow internet connection as suggested by Rudy Salalima, head of the Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT).

“Iyong solusyon na inilatag ni Secretary Rudy Salalima ay either magtayo iyong gobyerno ng sarili niyang telco; number two, ay punan ng gobyerno iyong mga lugar na mahina or walang presence ng mga cell sites or fiber optics. At pangatlo, ay kumuha talaga ng—magpa-bid out para sa third player at papasukin talaga para mas lalong maging vibrant iyong kompetisyon,” Andanar said.

Earlier this year, San Miguel Corp. and Australian firm Telstra failed to reach a deal which would have challenged the present duopoly of PLDT and Globe. IDL

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: China, Globe, Internet, PLDT, Rodrigo Duterte, Telecommunications
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.