Negros Power rolls out P2.1-B network upgrade program

MANILA, Philippines — Razon-led Negros Electric and Power Corp. has so far spent P1.2 billion to modernize its distribution system, including slashing system losses.
On Wednesday, the company said the spending was part of its P2.1-billion funding to replace deteriorating lines, finance substation upgrades, modern meters and projects.
READ: Razon-led Negros power backs rate cut push
Among its major projects is the P79-million Lacson Street Underground Distribution System in Bacolod, which replaces overhead lines with an underground network along a city thoroughfare. This protects the network from severe weather and reduces the proliferation of wires.
Likewise, the program earmarks about P250 million to bring more power to 232 underserved rural communities.
“[We have seen improvements in] system reliability, including efforts to eliminate insulator failures and reduce feeder losses, as early indicators of the modernization program’s impact,” Negros Power said in a statement.
READ: Negros power firm announces 5-year plan to reduce outages
The firm said it will pursue the modernization program without raising consumer rates.
Negros Power, a joint venture company between Primelectric Holdings Inc. and Central Negros Electric Cooperative, serves over 220,000 active accounts across Bacolod, Bago, Talisay, Silay, Murcia, and Don Salvador Benedicto. /pai