Trump ends Chevron permit in major blow to Venezuela

Trump ends Chevron permit in major blow to Venezuela

/ 12:57 PM February 27, 2025

Trump ends Chevron permit in major blow to Venezuela
(FILES) Gas prices are seen at a Chevron gas station in Los Angeles on September 28, 2023. Chevron will cut 15 to 20 percent of its workforce as part of a reorganization to save money and to position the oil giant for the long-term, the company said on February 12, 2025. (Photo by Robyn Beck / AFP)

Washington, United States — US President Donald Trump said Wednesday he was revoking permission for oil giant Chevron to operate in Venezuela, a major blow to the wobbly economy run by leftist adversary Nicolas Maduro.

Trump accused Maduro of failing to live up to promises to take back deported Venezuelans as pledged to a US envoy, whose visit to Caracas had initially been seen as a sign the new US administration would focus on pragmatic engagement rather than upping pressure.

Article continues after this advertisement

Former president Joe Biden in 2022 eased sanctions and gave Chevron permission to operate in Venezuela in return for a promise by Maduro to allow fair elections.

FEATURED STORIES

READ: Chevron to cut 15-20% of workforce by end of 2026 — company

Biden reimposed most sanctions as it became clear that Maduro was sidelining the opposition but maintained the concession to Chevon, in part out of concern of causing a spike in oil prices in the United States before elections.

“We are hereby reversing the concessions that Crooked Joe Biden gave to Nicolas Maduro,” Trump wrote on his Truth Social platform.

Trump, who rarely faults authoritarian leaders over democracy, said that the election conditions had not been met by Maduro, who was sworn in to a third term last month despite wide accusations of vote rigging.

Article continues after this advertisement

“Additionally, the regime has not been transporting the violent criminals that they sent into our Country (the Good Ole’ U.S.A.) back to Venezuela at the rapid pace that they had agreed to,” Trump wrote.

Chevron, which had previously stopped production of oil in Venezuela in 2018 due to earlier Trump sanctions, has helped revive the country’s oil sector which has declined precipitously since the 1990s.

Article continues after this advertisement

The US company pumps around 240,000 barrels a day from Venezuela, or nearly one quarter of the country’s total output.

Venezuelan Vice President Delcy Rodriguez called the Trump administration’s decision “damaging and inexplicable” and warned of the effect on migration — the key priority for Trump.

“In its attempt to harm the Venezuelan people, it is in fact hurting the United States, its population and its companies, and also calling into question the legal security of the US’s international investment regime,” she wrote on Telegram.

“Venezuela emphasizes that these kinds of failed decisions prompted the migration from 2017 to 2021 with the widely known consequences.”

Chevron spokesman Bill Turenne said that the company was aware of the decision and “considering its implications.”

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

“Chevron conducts its business in Venezuela in compliance with all laws and regulations, including the sanctions framework provided by US government,” he said.

TAGS: chevron, Donald Trump, Venezuela

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our newsletter!

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

© Copyright 1997-2025 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

This is an information message

We use cookies to enhance your experience. By continuing, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn more here.