Maynilad plugs costly pipeline leaks | Inquirer Business

Maynilad plugs costly pipeline leaks

/ 04:38 PM October 31, 2023

MANILA  -Concessionaire Maynilad Water Services Inc. has plugged more than 27,000 pipe leaks within its concession area in the third quarter of the year as part of its nonrevenue water management program and in preparation for the impending El Niño weather phenomenon.

In a statement last week, Maynilad said this brought the company’s total leak repairs to 485,319 since its reprivatization in 2007.

“Given the need to recover more water supply for distribution during El Niño, we have increased our manpower complement this year so we can swiftly implement leak detection and repairs,” said Randolph Estrellado, Maynilad chief operating officer.


The Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration announced earlier this year that El Niño—characterized by extended dry periods —was expected to be at its worst in the latter part of 2023 and persist until the first quarter of 2024.


Maynilad’s third-quarter repairs were mostly done in Quezon City, Caloocan and Manila.

To recall, Maynilad allotted nearly P4 billion for its nonrevenue water management program this year, P449 million of which was set aside for leak repair projects, it said.

Nonrevenue water refers to supply that does not reach customers, such as those lost from leaks and illegal connections.

Nonrevenue water

About80 percent of Maynilad’s water losses are due to leaks, while the remaining 20 percent is caused by commercial losses, or illegal connections and inaccurate water metering.

In the first quarter of 2023, Maynilad said its water loss reduction initiatives resulted in 47 million liters per day of recovered supply.

Maynilad had also reported that it had cut its nonrevenue water level to 43 percent of its total water produced in 2022. This is lower than the 68 percent recorded in 2006, or a year prior to its reprivatization.


The Metropolitan Waterworks and Sewerage System managed and controlled Maynilad from 2005 to 2007.

The World Bank states that ideally, nonrevenue water must account for less than 25 percent of a company’s total water production. Maynilad aims to reach this level by 2027. INQ

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

TAGS: Maynilad, pipeline, Water Supply

© Copyright 1997-2024 | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.