DOTr entertains ‘solicited’ scheme for MRT 3, LRT 2 deal
As it continues to accept unsolicited proposals from the private sector, the Department of Transportation (DOTr) will still be readying a plan that will give the government the upper hand in the operation and maintenance of the Metro Rail Transit Line (MRT) 3 and Light Rail Transit Line (LRT) 2.
Timothy John Batan, DOTr Undersecretary for Planning and Project Development, told reporters last week they would be engaging the Asian Development Bank and the International Finance Corp. for the terms of reference (TOR) for the MRT 3 and LRT 2 bundled contract.
The government agency is expecting to finish the TOR for public-private partnership (PPP) project by the second or third quarter of next year.
He said the DOTr was keeping its options open for both unsolicited and solicited bidding processes for the railway projects, just like what it did with the Ninoy Aquino International Airport rehabilitation project, before deciding on the final scheme.
In solicited bids, the government invites companies to look into a project through parameters it will provide, including the cost and ways by which an infrastructure will have to be operated.
Pangilinan-led Metro Pacific Investments Corp. (MPIC) and Japanese conglomerate Sumitomo Corp. recently submitted an unsolicited bid to take over MRT 3. DOTr Undersecretary for Railways Cesar Chavez confirmed that the office received the documents on Aug. 25.
MPIC owns Light Rail Manila Corp., the private operator of LRT 1.
“We’re reviewing it now,” Batan said.
He noted, however, that San Miguel Corp. had also submitted an unsolicited bid during the previous administration. He said the Ramon Ang-led conglomerate was granted the original proponent status but has yet to undergo a challenge. INQ