S&P 500 ends higher as oil stocks rally; Tesla tumbles | Inquirer Business

S&P 500 ends higher as oil stocks rally; Tesla tumbles

/ 08:46 AM April 04, 2023

The S&P 500 ended higher on Monday, lifted by energy stocks following surprise cuts to the OPEC+ group’s oil output targets, while Tesla tumbled after its electric vehicle deliveries for the first quarter disappointed investors.

Tesla Inc dropped 6.1 percent after disclosing March-quarter deliveries rose just 4 percent from the previous quarter, even after CEO Elon Musk slashed car prices in January to boost demand.

The S&P 500 energy sector index surged 4.9 percent after Saudi Arabia and other OPEC+ oil producers announced unexpected output cuts that could push oil prices toward $100 a barrel. Chevron Corp, Exxon Mobil Corp and Occidental Petroleum Corp all rallied more than 4 percent.


OPEC+ announces surprise oil cuts of around 1.16 mbpd from May to year-end

However, the prospect of higher oil costs added to inflation worries on Wall Street just days after evidence of cooling prices raised expectations that the U.S. Federal Reserve might soon end its aggressive monetary tightening campaign.

“The decision to cut production is a headwind for inflation … and that’s why, on balance we’re seeing a generally ‘risk off’ bias,” said Terry Sandven, chief equity strategist at U.S. Bank Wealth Management in Minneapolis.

The Dow was lifted in part by a 4.6- percent rally in UnitedHealth Group Inc on better-than-proposed Medicare Advantage rates for 2024.

Investors worried about inflation drew comfort from surveys by the Institute for Supply Management and S&P Global that reflected weakness in manufacturing activity in March.

US consumer inflation still elevated as Fed comes under stress

Interest rate futures imply 56 percent odds the Fed will raise rates by 25 basis points at its meeting in May, and 44 percent odds it will keep interest rates unchanged, according to CME Group’s Fedwatch tool.


The S&P 500 climbed 0.37 percent to end the session at 4,124.49 points.

The Nasdaq declined 0.27 percent to 12,189.45 points, while the Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 0.98 percent to 33,601.15 points.

Despite turbulence in the global banking sector, the S&P 500 jumped 7 percent in the first quarter and the tech-heavy Nasdaq rallied 17 percent.

First-quarter earnings season is around the corner, with big banks among the first to report in coming weeks and offer details about the sector’s overall health after the March collapse of Silicon Valley Bank sparked a fears of a broader industry crisis.

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

Across the U.S. stock market, advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by a 1.1-to-one ratio.

The S&P 500 posted 20 new highs and no new lows; the Nasdaq recorded 85 new highs and 121 new lows.

Volume on U.S. exchanges was relatively light, with 10.9 billion shares traded, compared with an average of 12.7 billion shares over the previous 20 sessions.

TAGS: Energy, s&p 500, Stock Market, Tesla, U.S.

© Copyright 1997-2024 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.