DBM confirms P1.285-B fund to restart Libreng Sakay on Edsa
The Libreng Sakay on the Edsa Busway system will roll out again soon as the Department of Budget and Management confirms that a P1.285-billion funding for the government’s social contracting program overseen by the Department of Transportation is up for release.
The amount is allocated through the 2023 national budget law, but the DBM is still preparing the necessary documents for the formal release of the funds.
“We understand the plight of our commuting public…so President Bongbong Marcos gave us a directive to do our part, and to exert our best to help ease their burden,” Budget Secretary Amenah Pangandaman said in a statement.
“Whatever amount they [commuters] save daily, they can reallocate to more important needs such as budget for food, electricity, tuition fee, among others,” Pangandaman said.
When asked to elaborate on the revival of Libreng Sakay, the DBM said the details would come from the implementing agencies.
Discontinued on Dec. 31 as funds were used up, the Libreng Sakay is a joint program of the DOTr and Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board to help commuters amid rising prices of commodities and services.
Last week, LTFRB Chairperson Teofilo Guadiz said Libreng Sakay would resume once the agency received the funding.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.