NTC orders new measures vs text spam
The National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) is now enjoining the mobile phone manufacturers, distributors and dealers in the initiative to combat the proliferation of text scams.
In a memorandum dated Sept. 14, the regulator has directed them to implement measures to inform the public about the protective mobile phone features.
The order came after the NTC met with the representatives of the mobile phone manufacturers, distributors and dealers on Sept. 13 to discuss the courses of actions consumers must take to safeguard themselves from text scams.
For one, the NTC instructed the mentioned parties to “provide directions to their mobile phone users on how to block texts from mobile numbers not in their contact lists and how to create a spam folder in their text boxes.”
The instructions, the regulator said, must be disseminated via their websites and social media accounts such as Facebook and Instagram.
The mobile phone manufacturers, distributors and dealers were also directed to put up posters in their physical stores to inform the public about the said measures.
Lastly, the NTC told them to include an insert or leaflet containing the mentioned safety measures in each new mobile phone package.
The commission said the measures should be implemented within 15 days from the issuance of the memorandum.
This order is among the recent directives of the NTC in curbing the surge of text scams that now include the name of the mobile subscribers.
Earlier this week, the NTC ordered DITO Telecommunity Corp., Globe Telecom Inc. and Smart Communications Inc. to deactivate websites and QR (quick response) codes found to be linked to fraudulent activities.
The said sites were based on a database obtained from the NTC, National Privacy Commission, Department of Trade and Industry, law enforcement agencies, subscriber reports and those generated from machine learning or artificial intelligence, the regulator explained.
The telco players were instructed to submit a written compliance report on or before Sept. 16.
Prior to this, telco companies were also directed to warn their customers about the scams through text blasts.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.