Reso on higher pork import volumes submitted to Duterte for signature
MANILA, Philippines — The resolution recommending the increase of the minimum access volume (MAV) Plus in the quantity of pork that may be imported at lower tariffs now only needs the signature of President Rodrigo Duterte, Agriculture Secretary William Dar said Tuesday.
During the joint hearing of the House committee on agriculture and food and the committee on trade and industry, Dar said the MAV Management Council, an interagency group headed by the Department of Agriculture (DA), has submitted the resolution to Duterte’s office on Monday night.
“Last night, we submitted to Malacanang the resolution by the MAV Management Council, recommending the increase in the MAV for pork for MAV Year 2021 and is now awaiting for the President’s signature,” Dar said.
“At the same time, the tariff commission is finalizing its report and recommendations to the Cabinet committee on tariff and related matters regarding our separate proposal to further lower tariff for pork for a period of one year,” he added.
The DA earlier said it is planning to triple its pork importations from the current 54,000 metric tons (MT) to 162,000 MT.
Duterte previously backed DA’s recommendation to look into expanding the MAV for pork to address the supply shortfall this year.
Subscribe to our business newsletter
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.