Filipinos financially ill-prepared for retirement | Inquirer Business

Filipinos financially ill-prepared for retirement

By: - Reporter / @daxinq
/ 04:03 AM September 09, 2020

The central bank on Tuesday urged Filipinos to take advantage of an “underutilized” law to beef up their pension programs as it noted that the country’s citizens remain some of the most poorly prepared in the region to face the financial challenges of retirement.

Speaking at the virtual launch of the digital Personal Equity and Retirement Accounts (Pera) initiative, Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas Gov. Benjamin Diokno said that the law had so far failed to build a critical mass of investors as envisioned by its creators.


“Currently, Pera is underutilized,” he said in his speech, noting that only 1,586 Filipinos have availed themselves of the scheme as of the end of July 2020, with total contributions of a mere P137 million. “Since its implementation in December 2016, the Pera industry has not gained significant momentum.”

Of the total contributors, 1,099 or 69 percent were locally employed, 273 or 17 percent were overseas Filipino workers (OFWs), and 214 or 14 percent were self-employed. On the average, OFWs have higher contributions at P110,000; local employed workers at P82,000, and the self- employed at P76,000.


“These figures remain regrettably low,” Diokno said.

Based on the latest report of the Philippine Statistics Authority, the Philippines has around 7.6 million Filipinos aged 60 years old and above. Of this group, only 20 percent are covered by either SSS or GSIS, leaving 80 percent of senior citizens with no mandatory pension at all.

Retirees who are fortunate enough to be covered by state-sponsored retirement systems receive an average monthly pension of P5,123 for SSS and P18,525 for GSIS.

“Depending on the lifestyle you would like to have in your senior years, this pension may or may not be enough to meet all your needs,” the central bank chief said, adding that surveys also showed that Filipinos tend not to prepare for their own retirement.

“Specifically, Filipinos only set aside 3.6 months’ worth of income for retirement—way below the regional average of 2.9 years,” he added. “In terms of expectation, Filipinos believe that savings equivalent to 2.1 years’ worth of personal income would be enough for retirement. This is the lowest expectation in Asia compared with the regional average of 12 years.”

Philippine Statistics Authority reported that the share of social security benefits—including retirement and survivorship pensions, sickness, disability, death and other related allowances—to gross domestic product also remained relatively low at around 2 percent from 2012 to 2017.“As such, voluntary retirement savings plans such as Pera are crucial in supplementing the state-based pension plans to meet retirement needs,” Diokno said.

Tuesday’s launch will allow Filipinos to make pension plan investments through their mobile phones, with the digitalization process allowing Pera-accredited banks and financial institutions to provide convenient and affordable retirement saving products to more investors through more efficient channels. INQ

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Business, Filipinos, Retirement
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Curated business news

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

© Copyright 1997-2022 | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.