CA junks power firm’s move vs expropriation of assets
ILOILO CITY, Iloilo, Philippines — The Court of Appeals (CA) has junked a bid by Panay Electric Co. (Peco) to suspend expropriation proceedings on its distribution assets as sought by rival company More Power.
The Oct. 3 resolution by the CA’s 18th Division denied Peco’s petition for a temporary restraining order or writ of preliminary injunction on the expropriation.
But according to Peco’s lawyer, Estrella Elamparo, the resolution “does not serve a purpose because the case is now before the Supreme Court.”
Elamparo said Peco had already filed a motion to withdraw its case before the CA.
In its resolution, the CA said it had no jurisdiction to restrain or enjoin the expropriation proceedings, citing a provision of the electric power industry reform law.
More Power, owned by shipping magnate Enrique Razon Jr., is seeking to expropriate Peco’s distribution assets estimated at P481,842,450 in accordance with Republic Act No. 11212, which President Duterte signed in February granting More a 25-year franchise to distribute electricity in Iloilo City.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.