Jolt out of minor electric shocks
Day in and day out, we use appliances and devices—TVs, refrigerators, microwave ovens, mobile phones, laptops, electric fans—all of which require the use of electricity. That said, it is so easy to assume that using one of these requires minimum thought. We often forget that not being mindful of plugging—or unplugging—electrical appliances and electronic devices can give us an unpleasant jolt or even a severe burn due to electric shock.
“It is important that before anyone helps another who seems to have been electrocuted, he or she should determine if the power source is already turned off and that it no longer poses a threat to both of them,” explained Dr. Pauleen Faustino, Medicard Philippines Inc.’s Onsite Clinic Management and Health Promotion head. “Immediately check for burns, wounds and do a first aid for burns. Observe for other symptoms such as chest pain, shortness of breath or palpitations. If you know CPR, start it on an unconscious pulseless victim.”
According to Dr. Faustino, some injuries from electric shock may seem minor at first, while others may be hard to detect. She advised that any person who has been injured by contact with electricity should be seen by a physician.
“Anyone exposed to high voltage source—for example, someone who is thrown off from a live wire—should be evaluated in a hospital,” said Dr. Faustino. Other indications that need immediate consultation include loss of consciousness, confusion, chest pains, shortness of breath, muscle pains and presence of severe burn wounds.
Keep it shock-proof
If you have little children running around the house, it is essential to keep living spaces safe from incidents of electric shock.
Install outlet safety covers in every socket in your house to keep kids from sticking their cute, wee fingers—or metal objects such as forks—into these.
Make sure your house’s electric wires are properly insulated and concealed, away from children’s reach.
Check your appliances for frayed, cracked or damaged cords or plugs and have these replaced immediately by an electrician or a repairman.
Keep your electrical appliances away from the sink or any area of your house which puts it at risk of getting in contact with water.
Pull the plug
Unplugging electrical appliances which are not in use helps conserve electricity. But how many of us bother to unplug the correct way? Pull by the plug. Do not just hastily yank the plug by pulling the cord carelessly.
We always encourage our kids to be active, to spend more time playing outdoors and less hours with their gadgets and game consoles. They should always be reminded as well to not fly kites near power lines, steer clear of electric posts and dangling wires, and go indoors immediately if there is a lightning storm. In case a kite or string gets entangled with an electric wire, leave it be and never attempt to retrieve it.
Mayo Clinic, mayoclinic.org
Photos from pexels.com
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.