Group seeks imposition of penalty on Manila Water
The resignation of Manila Water Co. Inc.’s chief operating officer amid the water supply shortage in the company’s service area is not enough and regulators should mete out heavy penalties, according to the Bagong Alyansang Makabayan (Bayan).
Bayan secretary general Renato Reyes Jr. also called out the Metropolitan Waterworks and Sewerage System’s Regulatory Office (MWSS RO) for “shirking responsibility” and its “inaction” on the matter.
Manila Water announced on Tuesday the early retirement of Geodino Carpio.
“(But) there has to be full accountability on the part of Manila Water insofar as the water crisis is concerned,” Reyes said in an interview. “We call for the imposition of heavy penalties on Manila Water and the granting of rebates to consumers for the inconvenience and added expenses incurred during the service interruption.
Last month, Reyes and four other Manila Water customers filed with the MWSS RO a petition to start public hearings on possible penalties against Manila Water.
Last week, MWSS chief regulator Patrick Ty said in an interview his office did not have the authority to mete out penalties. “This matter is up to the MWSS board of Trustees,” Ty said.
Reyes said Article 10.4 of the concession agreement stated that penalties should be rebated to customers as appropriately determined by the MWSS RO.—RONNEL W. DOMINGO
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.