Bulacan water project starts operation
San Miguel Corp.’s P24.4-billion bulk water supply project in Bulacan is starting commercial operations today after its completion in December, according to the Metropolitan Waterworks and Sewerage System (MWSS).
MWSS Administrator Reynaldo V. Velasco said in a statement that the project, a partnership between SMC unit Luzon Clean Water Development Corp. and Korean firm K-Water Resources Corp., would have a third stage—one more than previously announced.
SMC, through Luzon Clean Water, signed a concession agreement with the MWSS In January 2016.
Velasco said the SMC-K Water consortium was was already providing water supply to selected and ready water districts under Stage 1 of the project—Obando, Meycauayan City, Marilao and Bocaue.
Stage 1 also covers the water districts in San Jose del Monte and Balagtas.
Stage 2—which is expected to be completed in April—covers seven water districts, including Guiguinto, Calumpit, Bulakan, Plaridel, Sta. Maria, Paombong and Malolos.
Velasco said this was the first major water project to be completed and inaugurated under the Duterte administration. He said the President was set to formally inaugurate the project on Jan. 28.
“This underscores the good working relations between MWSS and Luzon Clean Water that will surely benefit the people of Bulacan,” Velasco said.
Velasco said construction of Stage 3 was set to start in 2022 “or even earlier.”
Stage 3 covers the 11 towns of Baliuag, Plaridel, Pandi, Hagonoy, San Rafael, San Miguel, Norzagaray, Angat, Dona Remedios Trinidad, San Ildefonso and Bustos.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.