Close  

Bulacan airport project back to the negotiating table

It will be ultimately up to President Duterte to decide on the fate of the proposed “aerotropolis” project in Bulacan pitched by diversifying conglomerate San Miguel Corp. (SMC) as persistent issues on its viability kept the economic team from fully approving it on Wednesday.

During Wednesday’s meeting of the interagency Investment Coordination Committee (ICC), economic managers greenlighted the following projects: Philippines-Korea Project Preparation Facility, Road Network Development Project in Conflict-Affected Areas in Mindanao, Reconstruction and Development Plan for a Greater Marawi Stage 2, as well as Regional Fish Port Project for the Greater Capital Region.

ADVERTISEMENT

The ICC cochaired by Socioeconomic Planning Secretary Ernesto Pernia and Finance Secretary Carlos Dominguez III also approved the reasonable rate of return for the expansion of Clark International Airport, specifically for its operations and maintenance concession, a public-private partnership project.

Dominguez told reporters after the meeting that the Clark airport expansion project “has no problem.”

FEATURED STORIES

Also, the ICC discussed the results of the negotiations between the Department of Transportation (DOTr) and SMC for the latter’s unsolicited proposal to build the Bulacan International Airport.

Asked about SMC’s proposed aerotropolis, Dominguez replied: “There were two airport projects that we discussed, and they were discussed at length. This meeting is to validate whether what was submitted is what was approved prior. There’s no concession agreement yet that was submitted.”

The National Economic and Development Authority Board had already approved the Swiss challenge for the Bulacan airport project in April, but with conditions, as the Department of Finance had to ensure its financial viability.

Dominguez nonetheless said these two airport projects would be elevated to the Neda Board.

Issues have kept the massive airport project from advancing. As such, Transportation Undersecretary for planning Ruben Reinoso said it was back to the negotiating table between the DOTr and SMC.

He said the sticking points during the ICC meeting included the increase in terminal fees and provisions to protect the concessionaire from any material impact arising from executive orders issued by the President.

“There were some suggested revisions to the draft concession agreement, which we need to negotiate with SMC,” Reinoso said in a text message.

ADVERTISEMENT

Previous talks included measures to protect the concessionaire from potential changes in the law.

In a forum in October, SMC president Ramon Ang said he had attended a meeting with DOTr officials, during which he pledged to shoulder the cost of right of way, typically a government expense.

He said this was to hasten the pace of negotiations for the airport project.

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: aerotropolis, Bulacan airport
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.