US lists $50B in Chinese imports facing tariffs | Inquirer Business
Close  

US lists $50B in Chinese imports facing tariffs

/ 06:39 AM April 04, 2018

In this file photo taken on March 09, 2018, employees lift steel products at a steel market in Shenyang in China’s northeastern Liaoning province on March 9, 2018. President Donald Trump will impose tariffs on at least $50 billion in Chinese goods imports to retaliate against the alleged theft of American intellectual property, White House officials said Thursday. AFP

WASHINGTON, United States — US officials published Tuesday a list of $50 billion in Chinese imports set to be targeted by US tariffs, the latest move in President Donald Trump’s simmering trade confrontation with Beijing.

The list — which includes electronics, aircraft parts, medicine, machinery and other goods — has yet to be finalized and is intended as a response to China’s alleged theft of American companies’ intellectual property and technology.

ADVERTISEMENT

The move comes a day after Beijing imposed duties on about $3 billion in US exports, a countermeasure widely seen as a warning that Chinese officials will not hesitate to retaliate quickly.

“The proposed list of products is based on extensive interagency economic analysis and would target products that benefit from China’s industrial plans while minimizing the impact on the US economy,” the office of US Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer said in a statement.

FEATURED STORIES

The proposed list identifies roughly 1,300 goods but remains subject to a 30-day public review process before it can take effect.

Over the last month, Trump has rattled markets and disregarded warnings from industry groups and members of his own Republican party in announcing punishing new tariffs on exports from major trading partners.

Tensions had calmed in recent days, with investors taking a degree of solace in news that Washington had begun talks to resolve differences with the European Union and China.

But in a series of irate tweets this week, Trump has repeatedly renewed threats to scrap the North American Free Trade Agreement.

Canadian, Mexican and US officials are currently in fraught negotiations to overhaul the 24-year-old agreement and analysts saying the odds are slim that a deal can be reached ahead of elections in Mexico and the United States. /cbb

Subscribe to our business newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Business, China, tariffs, Trade, trade war, US
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our business news

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.