Close  
CHINA GETS PRIVILEGE OF BECOMING THE THRID TELECOMMUNICATIONS CARRIER IN THE COUNTRY

Duterte wants 3rd telco player in PH ‘up and about’ by Q1 2018

By: - Reporter / @NCorralesINQ
/ 12:29 PM December 19, 2017

President Rodrigo Duterte has ordered the National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) and the Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT) to ensure that the third telecommunications player in the Philippines would be up by first quarter of 2018.

“The President has issued a directive to the NTC and the DICT to ensure that the third telco player will be up and about by the first quarter of 2018,” Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said in a Palace briefing.

ADVERTISEMENT

“If it is not approved within seven days, it is deemed approved. That’s how serious the President is in the entry of a third telecoms player,” Roque added.

Asked why the entry of the third telecommunications company in the country is being rushed, Roque said “we need desperately to have better telecoms in this country.”

FEATURED STORIES

Malacanang had earlier announced that Duterte has offered China the privilege of becoming the third telecommunications carrier in the country.         /kga

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: dict, NTC, President Rodrigo Duterte, Telecommunications
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.