DPWH delays bidding for NLEx-SLEx link
The bidding for the 8-kilometer elevated “connector road” linking the North Luzon Expressway (NLEx) and South Luzon Expressway (SLEx) would be pushed back by a few weeks pending the release of certain approvals, the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) said on Thursday.
Public Works and Highways Secretary Rogelio Singon said in a text message the agency still needed the go-ahead from the Department of Finance and the Office of the Solicitor General.
The DPWH, in a published notice Thursday, said the release of the tender documents and instructions to bidders would be from April 29 up to June 12 this year. Originally, this was set for April 12 to May 24.
The submission of comparative proposals was moved to July 25, 2016. This stage was originally planned for July 5.
The project, which was initially presented by a unit of Metro Pacific Investments Corp. as an unsolicited proposal during the Arroyo administration, would be bid out via a Swiss challenge.
This process meant other companies would be given the opportunity to submit comparative proposals to undertake the construction and operations of the connector road. Metro Pacific has the right to match rival offers to win the tollroad deal, which has a 37-year concession period.
So far, Malaysian conglomerate MTD Group said it may submit a proposal to challenge Metro Pacific.
The DPWH earlier indicated an award would happen by the third quarter of 2016. The construction was estimated to begin by 2017, with completion seen by 2020.
About 35,000 vehicles per day are expected to use the connector tollroad, which begins at the C3 Road in Caloocan City and ends at PUP Sta. Mesa. It will have an opening toll fee of P87. Miguel R. Camus
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.