Quantcast
Latest Stories

NTC allows telcos to jointly use frequencies to improve service

By

MANILA, Philippines—The National Telecommunications Commission has allowed the joint use of frequencies by telecommunication firms, citing the need to look after public interest given rampant complaints on blocked calls or grade of service, drop calls and signal quality of mobile phone providers.

“The primary purpose of the joint use is to improve efficiency and decongest the networks of the telcos to improve their services and comply with the QOS [quality of service] prescribed by the Commission,” the telecom regulator said.

In a press statement, the NTC said it has allowed the following:

1.) Joint use by Globe Telecom, Inc. (Globe) and Bayan Telecommunications Inc. (Bayan) of the frequencies assigned to Bayan in the 1800MHz Band for the provision of cable modem termination system, a component that sends and receives digital cable modem signals on a cable network.

2.) Joint use by Smart Communications Inc. (Smart) and Smart Broadband Inc. (SBI) of the frequencies assigned to Smart in the 800Mhz; 900MHz; 1800MHz and 2100MHz Band;

3.) Joint use by Smart and SBI of the frequencies assigned to SBI in the 800MHz Band;

4.) Joint use by Smart and Digital Mobile Philippines Inc. (Sun) of the frequencies assigned to Smart in the 800Mhz; 900Mhz; 1800Mhz; 2100Mhz Band; and

5.) Joint use by Smart and Sun of the frequencies assigned to Sun in 1800Mhz; 2100Mhz Band.

For the joint use of the frequencies, the NTC has required Globe, Smart, SBI and Sun to pay additional spectrum user fees.

For Bayan, which is under rehabilitation, it is required to seek confirmation from the rehabilitation court for the joint use of frequencies with Globe.

The joint use is also hinged on compliance by these telcos to the service quality required by the NTC.

In case any of assignees of the subject frequencies ceases to operate, the assigned frequencies shall be deemed automatically recalled by the NTC.

Rival telcos are taking opposite views on this sharing of frequency usage. Smart said the joint use of Bayantel frequencies by Globe would be “illegal” while it was welcomed by Globe.

Smart called on the NTC to initiate proceedings to recall the frequencies assigned to Bayantel, citing the latter’s failure to use these frequencies to provide mobile phone service to the public. The NTC should then offer these frequencies to all interested and qualified applicants in an open and competitive bidding process, said Enrico Espanol, head of the Smart’s legal and regulatory department in a letter opposing the application submitted September 28.

Espanol added that the “joint use” arrangement between Globe and Bayantel would lead to “enormous loss of government revenues as the latter would be deprived of income resulting from a competitive auction among interested bidders.” He recalled that a similar anomalous arrangement between Globe and Altimax Broadcasting Co. for the lease of broadcast frequencies to provide wireless broadband service on the WiMax technology had also resulted in large revenue losses for the government.

Froilan Castelo, head of Globe’s corporate and legal services group, said the company was pleased with the decision of the NTC. “If Smart has taken that position, then it should have opposed the move of Bayantel for an extension of their license to provide CMTS services last year. The NTC decision granting the motion of Bayantel was also issued last year and has become final, executory and unappealable. Bayantel is currently under rehabilitation and the rehabilitation court has ordered the preservation of all assets and privileges of Bayantel including its spectrum. This is the reason why the NTC cannot validly recall their spectrum assets,” Castelo said.

On the other hand, Castelo said Globe could not comment on Smart’s complaint on Altimax because this was still under deliberation with the NTC “and therefore subject to sub judice rules.”

In its application to the NTC, Globe argued that the joint use agreement would allow it to address increasing demand for voice, SMS and mobile data services, and for Bayantel to be able to offer mobile telecommunications services nationwide.


Follow Us


Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: Bayan Telecommunications Inc. , Business , frequencies , Globe Telecom Inc. , National Telecommunications Commission , Smart Broadband Inc. , Smart Communications Inc. , telcos , Telecommunications

  • Sherwin Ang

    Hello Miss Doris Dumlao/PDI,

    Just a correction on the CMTS meaning, it’s not Cable Modem Termination System but Cellular Mobile Telecom Service :)

  • kismaytami

    NTC forgot to warn these telcos not to jointly use frequencies on spamming their prepaid clients with nuisance ad SMS.



Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

  • Malaysia, Flight 370 relatives talk financial help
  • Celebrating Easter and creativity in New York
  • Man wins half marathon, dies in Argentina
  • Clouds to bring slight relief from summer heat
  • Canadians rally to legalize marijuana
  • Sports

  • Reigning champs Miami open playoffs with win
  • Spurs subdue Mavericks in playoff opener
  • Wawrinka beats Federer to win Monte Carlo Masters
  • Ageless Hopkins pitches 50-50 Mayweather deal
  • Goodbye MGM, Las Vegas for Pacquiao?
  • Lifestyle

  • Miss America: Don’t suspend teen over prom invite
  • Transitions and resurrection in the performing arts
  • ‘Archaeology tour’ of Cebu’s heritage of faith
  • Historic Fort Bonifacio tunnel converted into a septic tank
  • ‘Imports’ from London, and play of the year
  • Entertainment

  • ‘Captain America’ stays strong atop US box office
  • Easter musings
  • Solenn in shorts
  • Unmerry mix of attention-calling moves on ‘Mini-Me’ TV tilts
  • Persistence pays off for The 1975
  • Business

  • BDO seen keen on bidding for Cocobank
  • Bataan freeport investment pledges up 1,302%
  • Golden Week
  • Bourse to woo Cebu stock mart investors
  • Supper power
  • Technology

  • Nintendo’s trailblazing Game Boy marks 25th anniversary
  • Nasa’s moon-orbiting robot crashes down
  • Netizens pay respects to Gabriel Garcia Marquez
  • Nokia recalls 30,000 chargers for Lumia 2520 tablet
  • Facebook rolls out ‘nearby friends’ feature
  • Opinion

  • Gigi’s home
  • Palace stonewalls on MRT inquiry
  • Couple of things too
  • There is plenty of water behind Wawa Dam
  • Triduum thoughts of a young boy
  • Global Nation

  • Obama on mission to quiet Asia skeptics
  • Search for Etihad passengers launched
  • Japan presents $57-B ‘dream plan’ to solve Metro congestion
  • Tim Tebow’s charity hospital in Davao seen to open in 7 months
  • OFW died of Mers-CoV in Saudi Arabia, says family
  • Marketplace