Quantcast
Latest Stories

Empire East still keen on residential project with Japan’s Okada

By

Andrew Tan. INQUIRER FILE PHOTO

MANILA, Philippines—Japanese tycoon Kazuo Okada may have lost the group of taipan John Gokongwei as an ally in his proposed Philippine gaming hub but not Andrew Tan, whose residential arm Empire East Land Holdings Inc. is keen on pursuing the upscale residential component of the $2-billion entertainment center.

During his company’s stockholders meeting on Wednesday, ELI president Charlemagne Yu said there were “ongoing” discussions with the Okada group but ELI was waiting for the Japanese group to commit to the residential project independently of the gaming component.

Yu said ELI was closely watching developments with respect Okada’s project.

Based on an announcement in July last year, the plan was to jointly build a P45-billion upscale residential condominium complex in Entertainment City Manila, comprising more than 25 residential towers. This announcement was eclipsed when the Gokongwei group, through Robinsons Land Corp., announced a separate agreement with Okada involving all other components of the project.

The RLC-Okada partnership, however, recently fizzled out in the face of an ongoing probe by US authorities into allegations of improper payments made by Okada’s group to gain a foothold in the Philippines.

“We would like to know if they are willing to pursue the development of residential (projects) regardless of the outcome of the casino project,” Yu told reporters. Asked if the group was still keen on building 25 residential towers, Yu said nothing had been finalized yet.

The company plans to invest P5 billion each year for the next five years in its expansion program. The P25-billion five-year capital spending program is the biggest medium-term set by ELI so far.

“We think that we can beat the performance last year. If the first quarter is any indication, it’s even better. There’s money in the market and the economy is doing very well,” Yu said. Asked about indications for the second quarter, Yu said it’s “really good” and that sales were “very robust.”

“We’re surprised it’s still very good. Consumer confidence is high,” he said.

ELI’s consolidated net profit grew by 26-percent to P235.35 million in 2012. Consolidated revenues, composed of real estate sales, finance, commissions and other revenues went up by 29 percent to P2.52 billion from a year ago. Real estate sales went up by 40 percent last year while reservation sales reached P30 billion, up by 37-percent year-on-year.

As such, ELI is keen on rolling out more residential units this year than what was brought to the property market last year, Yu said. ELI launched over 2,000 new residential units in 12 towers last year.

Meanwhile, Yu assured the public that Empire East won’t be delisted from the stock market after the consolidation of all property units under the group of Andrew Tan into Megaworld Corp.


Follow Us


Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: Andrew Tan , Empire East , Empire East Land Holdings Inc. , John Gokongwei , Kazuo Okada , property



Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

  • Easterlies to prevail in Luzon, Visayas
  • Lacson eyes P106-B ‘Yolanda’ rehab masterplan
  • What Went Before: Malacañang allies alleged involvement in pork scam
  • Timeline: Napoles tell-all
  • 12 senators on Napoles ‘pork’ list, says Lacson
  • Sports

  • Mixers trim Aces; Painters repulse Bolts
  • Donaire junks Garcia as coach, taps father
  • ’Bye Ginebra: No heavy heart this time
  • UAAP board tackles new rules
  • Baguio climb to decide Le Tour de Filipinas
  • Lifestyle

  • No tourist draw, Malang the croc will remain wild
  • The best flavors of summer in one bite, and more
  • Homemade yogurt, bread blended with pizza, even ramen
  • Visiting chefs from Denmark get creative with ‘ube,’ ‘ buko,’ ‘calamansi,’ mangoes
  • Salted baked potatoes
  • Entertainment

  • Return of ‘Ibong Adarna’
  • Practical Phytos plans his future
  • In love … with acting
  • From prison to the peak of success
  • ‘Asedillo’ location thrives
  • Business

  • Cost-recovery provisions for affected gencos urged
  • This time, BIR goes after florists
  • Philippine Airlines to stop shipment of shark fins
  • PH banks not ready for Asean integration
  • Stocks down on profit-taking
  • Technology

  • No truth to viral no-visa ‘chronicles’
  • ‘Unlimited’ Internet promos not really limitless; lawmakers call for probe
  • Viber releases new design for iPhone, comes to Blackberry 10 for the first time
  • Engineers create a world of difference
  • Bam Aquino becomes Master Splinter’s son after Wiki hack
  • Opinion

  • Editorial cartoon, April 24, 2014
  • Talking to Janet
  • Respite
  • Bucket list
  • JPII in 1981: walking a tightrope
  • Global Nation

  • Filipinos in Middle East urged to get clearance before returning
  • PH seeks ‘clearer assurance’ from US
  • China and rivals sign naval pact to ease maritime tensions
  • What Went Before: Manila bus hostage crisis
  • Obama arrives in Tokyo, first stop of 4-nation tour
  • Marketplace