5 tips to help you improve your overall well-being this summerPhilippine Daily Inquirer
Medicard Philippines, the Philippines’ leading HMO provider, offers some tips so you can enjoy the summer season:
1. Protect your skin from the sun. The sun shines intensely during summer. Too much exposure to the sun’s ultraviolet rays can cause skin cancer, heat rash, sun burn or other related skin diseases. If left untreated, it may cause blisters which could lead up to infection. To protect your skin, you can block the sun’s rays by using an umbrella or wearing a hat when going out. You can also apply sunblock to exposed skin with a minimum rating of SPF 30, which medical experts recommend.
2. Keep yourself hydrated at all times. In the heat of summer, the body works harder to cool itself down. This is why people feel more tired than usual. Drinking eight glasses of water or more keeps your body hydrated and helps alleviate heat stroke. However, don’t forget to include electrolytes in your liquid intake. Electrolytes contain minerals such as sodium and potassium that assist in muscle function. There are several commercially available products to help you keep your electrolytes balanced.
3. Get some exercise. The beach is the ideal place to be during the summer season and it would be nice to show a fit and healthy body while getting a tan. Take advantage of the slow summer with light, fun exercises such as biking, swimming or even hiking. They can help lower your blood pressure, heart rate and stress hormones.
4. Get enough sleep. Summer is a great opportunity to give our bodies a time out. Besides physical health, mental health is equally important. Stress levels can rise during work and overworking the body opens you to health risks. Getting eight hours of sleep keeps the mind at peace and your body will feel even more refreshed.
5. Get a health checkup. It is good advice to get a complete physical checkup by a physician. This can help avoid any casualty that may deprive you of summer fun.