Quantcast
Latest Stories

Fiat boss eyes Chrysler merger in 2014



Fiat and Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne speaks during the unveiling of a Maserati plant in Grugliasco, near Turin, Italy, Wednesday, Jan. 30, 2013. Marchionne said Sunday, Feb. 3, 2013, that he expected the merger of the Italian car giant and its US partner Chrysler will take place in 2014. AP PHOTO/DANIELE BOTTALLO, LAPRESSE

ROME—Fiat boss Sergio Marchionne said Sunday that he expected the merger of the Italian car giant and its US partner Chrysler will take place in 2014.

“We will succeed in doing it,” he said in an interview with the editor of the Repubblica newspaper. “We and VEBA (the United Auto Workers pension fund—a Chrysler shareholder) have different opinions on the value of Chrysler but we will resolve the problem in 2014.”

Marchionne, who heads both companies, had said on January 30 that the ties between the two automakers were “irreversible” and would merge “as soon as I can afford it” but did not put date on the merger.

Asked on Sunday if Fiat would keep its Turin headquarters, Marchionne said: “We are a big group present throughout the world, it will depend on access to financial markets and the choices of the Agnelli family” who founded Fiat.

He had “not thought” about the future name of the new entity, he said.

The deal will ultimately give Fiat a 65-percent stake in Chrysler and full ownership by 2015.

Boosted by increased sales at Chrysler, the Italian giant on Wednesday reported a profitable 2012, announcing a fourth-quarter net profit that rose to 388 million euros ($525 million) from 265 million euros the year before.

The company said it was aiming for profits of between 1.2 and 1.5 billion euros this year.

Fiat took a 20 percent stake in Chrysler in 2009 as the third-largest US automaker emerged from a government-financed restructuring under bankruptcy protection.

It has since steadily expanded its stake by purchasing shares owned by the US government and the VEBA fund.

The Fiat boss again reiterated the group’s new change in strategy toward a luxury market and rejected rumors that Fiat would sell Alfa Romeo to Germany’s top auto giant Volkswagen.

“I have already said 200,000 times that Alfa Romeo is not for sale and definitely not to them,” adding he had trouble even pronouncing the German carmaker’s name.

“We are the ones who will present the (world’s) most costly car at Geneva, the new Ferrari,” he said referring to next month’s Geneva Motor Show. “We make it in Italy with Italian workers. What do I need to learn from Germans?” he asked defiantly.

Fiat would manufacture its luxury cars at the company’s historical factory at Mirafiori, Marchionne said, and at its plant in Grugliasco, which now houses the Maserati Quattroruote production line.

Dispelling fears last year that Fiat would be forced to shut plants in Italy, he said the group was committed to keeping production in the country.

He also pledged to bring workers in Italian factories who were forced to go part-time back into full employment before a three to four-year deadline previously given.


Follow Us


Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: auto , Business , chrysler , Fiat , Italy , merger , Motoring , US



Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

  • What Went Before: Malacañang allies alleged involvement in pork scam
  • Timeline: Napoles tell-all
  • 12 senators on Napoles ‘pork’ list, says Lacson
  • Napoles surgery in Makati hospital successful
  • Save the queen? Aide takes fall for Enrile, Gigi Reyes
  • Sports

  • Mixers trim Aces; Painters repulse Bolts
  • Donaire junks Garcia as coach, taps father
  • ’Bye Ginebra: No heavy heart this time
  • UAAP board tackles new rules
  • Baguio climb to decide Le Tour de Filipinas
  • Lifestyle

  • The best flavors of summer in one bite, and more
  • Homemade yogurt, bread blended with pizza, even ramen
  • Visiting chefs from Denmark get creative with ‘ube,’ ‘ buko,’ ‘calamansi,’ mangoes
  • Salted baked potatoes
  • A first in a mall: Authentic Greek yogurt–made fresh in front of diners
  • Entertainment

  • Return of ‘Ibong Adarna’
  • Practical Phytos plans his future
  • In love … with acting
  • From prison to the peak of success
  • ‘Asedillo’ location thrives
  • Business

  • This time, BIR goes after florists
  • Philippine Airlines to stop shipment of shark fins
  • PH banks not ready for Asean integration
  • Stocks down on profit-taking
  • Banks allowed to use ‘cloud’
  • Technology

  • ‘Unlimited’ Internet promos not really limitless; lawmakers call for probe
  • Viber releases new design for iPhone, comes to Blackberry 10 for the first time
  • Engineers create a world of difference
  • Bam Aquino becomes Master Splinter’s son after Wiki hack
  • Mark Caguioa lambasts Ginebra teammates on Twitter
  • Opinion

  • Editorial cartoon, April 24, 2014
  • Talking to Janet
  • Respite
  • Bucket list
  • JPII in 1981: walking a tightrope
  • Global Nation

  • PH seeks ‘clearer assurance’ from US
  • China and rivals sign naval pact to ease maritime tensions
  • What Went Before: Manila bus hostage crisis
  • Obama arrives in Tokyo, first stop of 4-nation tour
  • Believe it or not: Filipinos love US more than Yanks
  • Marketplace